High on Anime, Games and Everything else

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Best of Manifest 2006

Black Mokona plushie

Up until today, I didn't know a black Mokona exist. That kind of proves how much of CLAMP's work I've seen. Well, I have seen or read Rayearth, RG Veda and Chobits, and the only Mokona I know of is the white one in Rayearth.

Anyway, with the appearance of possibly the one and only one deluxe size black Mokona (it's a bit bigger than a soccer ball) that existed at the convention, it's only natural that it is the envy of a lot of people.

And at $45, it's a bargain.

Catbus

For any Totoro fans, like me, this is what you want. It's about as big as two Mokona put together. In other words, it's big. One of us made the comment about it being a huge tissue box holder. The only problem is that it's $95. It would have been a pretty expensive tissue holder. If it was a tad cheaper, like $60 or so, I'll definitely think about it.

Auction

Like last year, this year's auction brought some fierce competitions. Friend turned into enemies when trying to outbid each other; Two Shinn Asuka cosplayers, despite on the same side, outbid each other for I forgot what that was. The most expensive item was a brand new B4 size colour artbook of Blanc et Noir that went for over $200. The MC made comments that were, well, slightly misinterpreted (especially when she said, "you can have a great time with her").

There were quite a few items that were passed in. Among them was a box full of retro manga that no one wanted. Unfortunately, there were also items that were not picked up, like the two boxes full of Newtype USA magazine that went for $155 at the auction.

And I must say, I made quite a sum of money myself as a seller this year. :)

Other

Last year, I spent about 8 hours over the weekend helping with screenings. This year, I watched a total of ONE hour of anime. That's right, just one hour. It was the first two episode of xxxHolic. Coincidently, that was where I saw a black Mokona. I had plans to watch the likes of Fate/Stay Night, Saint Seiya and Tales of Phantasia, but I was too busy helping with the auction to go anywhere.

Didn't feel like I missed out, though. As a matter of fact, I felt great helping out with Manifest in the capacity of a volunteer (or as this year would have it, a random guy running around helping with random stuff). Maybe I'll join the committee next year if I have some spare time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home