High on Anime, Games and Everything else

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Japan 2006 - Day 8 - Shibuya

The first thing you will notice when you get off the Harajuku station is the Snoopy Town shop right across the street. It obviously sells nothing but Snoopy merchandise. Just that should convince you that Harajuku and the neighbouring Shibuya is the Tokyo capital of trendy shops for the today's youth. But before that, I stopped by the Meiji Jingu to pray for warmer weather. The Meiji Jingu Treasure Museum has yet again eluded me as it had two years ago. That time, I visited on a Monday where the museum has just changed the opening hour to close on Monday. This time, the opening hours has gone even shorter. It is now only opened on the weekends and public holidays. Oh, well, I might never get there.

So without much to do after my visit to the Shrine, I had lunch at the canteen and off I went to Shibuya, which was a 15 minutes walk from the Harajuku station along the railway line. On the way, I stopped by the Towers Records, which was, well, a CD shop like many others.

I arrived at the Mandrake Shibuya shop, which was right next to a second hand book / game / DVD shop at which I spent another 1000 yen to buy some old games on the Sega Saturn. Hopefully the Saturn at home still works.

Anyway, back to Mandrake. The shop is on the underground level, and it was a fairly big shop. They sell pretty anything, from manga, to anime cel, to anime story board, to figurines, to games. I didn't buy anything, but it was worth taking a look. I think all the stuff they sell are second hand.

Later, I went to a shop called Book-off. They have millions of manga, and they are cheaper than toilet paper. If you ever run out of toilet paper, go buy old manga instead. Many older manga sells for 105 yen each volume. That's like $1.20AUD. That's right, $1.20, while the English adaption cost $17AUD in the shops. You'll never find that kind of bargain back in Australia. The only trouble is you have to know Japanese, of course. They sell other stuff as well, like CDs and games, both of which are reasonably cheap as well. Yet again, I just couldn't resist and bought a few things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home